It Took Me 10 Years to Understand The Divine Feminine by Mac Miller
And no, it wasn’t because I fell in love.
In eighth grade (Or seventh, life seemed pretty blurry back then) , I had roughly two ideas of what love sounded like. There was Taylor Swift’s “Love Story,” where love survived because it was meant to. There were balconies, disapproving parents and eventually a ring. Then there was Eminem and Rihanna’s “Love the Way You Lie,” where love was basically a house on fire and two people refusing to leave it.
That was more or less the emotional spectrum available to me. Love either worked because it was destined to, or it destroyed you because it wasn’t.
Then I found Mac Miller’s The Divine Feminine.
None of my friends particularly cared about Mac’s music, and I definitely did not have the vocabulary at thirteen to explain why this very pink album felt different. It was probably my first real interaction with an artist talking not just about love, but about everything ugly, sexual, tender and contradictory that comes with it: jealousy, missed calls, addiction, domestic fantasies, trust issues, sex, fear and the possibility that somebody might leave even while both people still love each other.
Naturally, I did not spend eighth grade thinking deeply about any of this. I liked the songs. I understood that Mac was extremely into a woman and extremely interested in having sex with her. Beyond that, I moved on.
Then about a year ago, I came back to it. This time I listened from beginning to end, in order, like a freak. No shuffle. No skipping straight to “Dang!” or “My Favorite Part.” I wanted to hear the album as one complete thought.
And suddenly, I heard something completely different.
There is obviously a woman here. There are many women here. There is sex everywhere. There are hotel rooms, missed calls, bodies, fights, jealousy, drugs, promises of forever and the constant fear that the person you love might decide one day that loving you has simply become too exhausting. But ten years later, I don’t think the woman was ever the whole subject. I think the real subject was what loving her revealed about him.
Mac described The Divine Feminine around its release as his perspective on love and adoration toward a woman, something he considered sacred. He also spoke about believing that an entire universe exists inside every person, and imagining that universe inside the woman he loved.
That distinction matters because The Divine Feminine is not Mac arriving at some grand understanding of love.
It is Mac trying to understand it while he is already in the middle of it. And he gets it wrong all the time.
He worships a woman and sexualises her in the same breath. He wants freedom but panics when she might leave. He talks about forever while admitting that his lifestyle does not give her enough of him. He wants someone to soothe the damaged parts of him while slowly recognising that another person cannot spend their whole life carrying those parts for him.
He can call her divine and still hurt her. He can mean every promise and still fail to keep some of them. He can desperately want her to stay while behaving in ways that make staying difficult.
The album never cleans any of that up. That is where the love story actually is.
Even musically, Mac sounds less certain than usual. He sings more than he raps. His voice stretches, cracks and sometimes sounds as though it is reaching for something it cannot quite hold. Around him are horns, strings, jazz piano, synths and voices like Anderson .Paak, Ty Dolla $ign, Ariana Grande, Kendrick Lamar and CeeLo Green. The music keeps changing shape because Mac’s understanding of intimacy keeps changing shape.
“Congratulations” almost sounds ceremonial. The strings rise around him and he sounds completely consumed by devotion. Yet within moments he gives us the contradiction that follows him through the entire album: “This sun don’t shine when I’m alone,” followed by the idea that she is “too divine to just be mine” (Miller, “Congratulations”).
At thirteen, I heard romance. Now I hear dependency sitting beside reverence.
If she is too divine to belong to him, he understands that love is not possession. But if the sun stops shining without her, her absence threatens his entire emotional world.
“Dang!” turns that anxiety into something you can dance to. The horns are bright, Anderson .Paak sounds effortless, and meanwhile Mac keeps admitting, “I can’t keep on losing you” (Miller, “Dang!”). That contrast is perfect. The relationship is exhausting but the song never stops moving long enough for either person to process it.
Then “Stay” reduces everything to one humiliatingly simple request: stay. He knows he stresses her out. He hates the silence between them. And after all that emotional pleading, the song dissolves into a sensual saxophone outro. It is almost the whole album in miniature. When Mac cannot close emotional distance, he turns toward physical intimacy.
“Skin” makes that tension even clearer. For all the sexual confidence, underneath it is somebody asking for “a hand to hold” and imagining another person as “a Band-Aid for my damaged soul” (Miller, “Skin”).
Mac knows how to describe desire. He is much less certain about how to describe need.
That might be one of the deepest conflicts on the record. Sex gives him a language in which he feels powerful. Love keeps forcing him into one where he does not.
“Cinderella” takes this even further. The first half is fantasy: hotel rooms, escape, sex, devotion. Then the music shifts and Mac suddenly sounds far more exposed. “If it’s forever or never, it’s all the same,” he sings (Miller, “Cinderella”).
When I was younger, I thought that was simply romantic. Now I think it is terrifying.
Forever and never are opposites, but emotionally they are both absolutes. Both save him from the much harder reality of love, which is that most of it happens somewhere in between.
Love happens tomorrow morning.
And next Thursday.
Forever is easy to promise because it is abstract. Staying present is harder.
By “Planet God Damn,” even Mac seems exhausted by his own nostalgia. “I think I’m stuck inside nostalgia,” he admits (Miller, “Planet God Damn”). Njomza answers with something much simpler: “Tell the truth” and “show me you” (Miller, “Planet God Damn”).
Not worship me. Not save me. Show me you.
Then “Soulmate” begins with dialogue from Good Will Hunting, where Robin Williams’s character talks about a soulmate as somebody who challenges you, but also confronts the fear of imagining every bad ending before allowing yourself to experience the beginning. That feels almost like a diagnosis of Mac.
Throughout the record, he is always anticipating loss. She might leave. She might stop trusting him. She might find someone else. He is so frightened of eventually losing love that he sometimes struggles to exist inside the fact that he currently has it.
Maybe that is what “divine” starts to mean here.
Not perfect.
Just beyond his ability to control.
Then comes “We,” and one tiny pronoun changes everything. Until this point, much of the album has been I and you. Suddenly there is something shared. Mac lands on the idea that “we sound better than you or me” (Miller, “We”).
Love cannot just mean needing someone. It cannot mean turning them into a goddess. There has to be something created between two people without either person disappearing.
“My Favorite Part” makes that idea musical. Ariana Grande does not just become another woman for Mac to describe. She sings back. Their voices are completely different, and that is exactly why they work.
Harmony does not require sameness. Maybe intimacy does not either.
And then “God Is Fair, Sexy Nasty” ends everything with Kendrick Lamar, jazz piano and eventually Mac’s grandmother telling the story of her marriage.
For almost an hour, Mac has tried to make love enormous enough to explain what it does to him. He invokes God, Cinderella, soulmates, Heaven, planets, eternity and the universe. Then an older woman comes in and makes love sound almost ordinary.
You learn someone. You respect them. You understand their feelings. You stay attentive. You keep choosing them.After Mac spends an album making love metaphysical, his grandmother makes it practical. That is the part I could never have understood in eighth grade. Back then, I wanted love songs to tell me what love was. Good or bad. Forever or over. “Love Story” or “Love the Way You Lie.”
I did not understand that contradiction was not a failure in the story. Sometimes contradiction is the story.
You can adore somebody and exhaust them. You can want freedom and panic when they exercise theirs. You can desire someone completely and still fail to understand them. You can promise forever honestly and still have no control over tomorrow.
And you can call another person divine while eventually having to learn that loving them properly means letting them remain human. Because worship and intimacy are not the same thing. Worship looks upward. Intimacy looks across.
Maybe that is the journey of The Divine Feminine. Mac begins with a woman who is almost an idea and ends with something much harder: another human being.
Ten years later, the album has not changed.
I did.
At thirteen, I heard an album about how extraordinary a woman could make a man feel. Now I hear an album about what loving another person forces a man to confront in himself. And no, I did not need to fall in love to understand that.I just needed to get old enough to realise that love is not powerful because it solves contradiction.Sometimes love is simply where all our contradictions become impossible to hide.


Comments
Post a Comment